My research interests include the application of social psychology theory and methods to the study of health risk and prevention behaviors, especially those associated with vulnerability to cancer. I'm also interested in the interaction of social, environmental, and familial factors, and genetic variation on the developmental trajectories of risk and prevention behaviors during adolescence and young adulthood.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F.X., Houlihan, A.E., Stock, M.L., & Pomery, E.A. (2008). A dual process approach to health risk decision making: The prototype willingness model. Developmental Review, 28, 29-61. (Invited paper in Special Issue: Emerging Directions in Risk and Rational Decision Making).
- Blanton, H., McClive-Reed, K.P., & Gerrard, M. (in press). Threading the needle in health-risk communication: Increasing vulnerability salience while promoting self-worth. Journal of Health Communication.
- Gerrard, M., Stock, M.L., *Roberts, M.E., Gibbons, F.X., *O’Hara, R E., *Weng, C-Y., & Wills, T.A. (2012). Coping with Racial Discrimination: The Role of Substance Use. Psychology of Addictive Behavior. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26, 550-560.
- *Roberts, M.E., Gibbons, F.X., Gerrard, M., & *Alert, M.D. (2011). Optimism and adolescent perceptions of skin cancer risk. Health Psychology, 30, 810-813.
- *Reimer, R.A., Gerrard, M., & Gibbons, F.X. (2010). Racial Disparities in Smoking Knowledge among Current Smokers: Data from the Health Information National Trends Surveys. Psychology and Health, 25, 943-959.
- Stoolmiller, M., Gerrard, M., *Worth, K., Gibbons, F.X., Sargent, J.D. (2010). R-rated Movie Viewing, Growth in Sensation Seeking and Alcohol Initiation: Reciprocal and Moderation Effects. Prevention Science, 11, 1-13.
- *Roberts, M.E., Gerrard, M., *Reimer, R., & Gibbons, F.X. (2010). Mother-daughter communication and human papillomavirus vaccine uptake by college students. Pediatrics, 125, 982-989.
- Mahler, H.I.M., Kulik, J.A., Gerrard, M., & Gibbons, F.X. (2010). Effects of upward and downward social comparison information on the efficacy of an appearance-based sun protection intervention: A randomized, controlled experiment. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 33, 496 - 507.
- Stock, M.L., Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F.X., Dykstra, J.L., Mahler, H.I.M., Walsh, L., & Kulik, J.A. (2009). Sun protection intervention for highway workers: Long-term efficacy of UV photography and skin cancer information on men's protective cognitions and behavior. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 38; 225-236.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., *Gano, M. L., & *Vande Lune, L. S. (2005). Images of smokers and willingness to smoke among African American pre-adolescents: An application of the prototype/willingness model of adolescent health risk behavior to smoking initiation. Pediatric Psychology, 30, 305-318.
- Mahler, H. I., Kulik, J. A., Gibbons, F. X., & Gerrard, M. (2003). Effects of a UV image and photoaging information on the sun protection behaviors of southern California college students and beachgoers. Health Psychology, 22, 199-209.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., *Reis-Bergan, M., Trudeau, L., *VandeLune, L., & Buunk B. P. (2002). Inhibitory effects of drinker and non-drinker prototypes on adolescent alcohol consumption. Health Psychology, 21, 601-609.
- Gibbons, F. X., Lane, D. J., Gerrard, M., *Pomery, E. A., & *Lautrup, C. (2002). Drinking and driving: A prospective assessment of the relation between risk cognitions and risk behavior. Risk Decision and Policy, 7, 267-283.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., *VandeLune, L. S., *Pexa, N., & *Gano, M. L. (2002). Adolescents' substance-related risk perceptions: Antecedents, mediators, and consequences. Risk Decision and Policy, 7, 175-191.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., & *Reis-Bergan, M. (2000). Self-esteem and self-serving health cognitions: Implications for those who engage in risky behavior. Journal of Personality, 68, 1177-1201.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., Zhao, L., Russell, D. W., & *Reis-Bergan, M. (1999). The effects of peers' alcohol consumption on parental influence: A cognitive mediational model. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 13, 183-197.
- Gerrard, M., Gibbons, F. X., & *Reis-Bergan, M. (1999). The effect of communications on risk perceptions: The significance of individual differences. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 25, 94-100.
- Gibbons, F. X., Gerrard, M., Blanton, H., & Russell, D. W. (1998). Reasoned action and social reaction: Willingness and intention as independent predictors of health risk. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74, 1164-1181.
- Gibbons, F. X., Gerrard, M., Blanton, H., & Russell, D. W. (1998). Cognitive antecedents to adolescent health risk: Discriminating between behavioral intention and behavioral willingness. Psychology and Health, 13, 319-339.
- *Indicates student co-authors
- Applications of Social Psychology Theories
- Health Psychology
Center for Health Intervention and Prevention
University of Connecticut
2006 Hillside Road, Unit 1248
Storrs, CT 06269-1248